Energie Beheer Nederland B.V. (EBN) is 100 percent owned by the Dutch state. We execute parts of the climate and energy policy on behalf of the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy (EZK).
Until 2016, we mainly focused on the exploration, extraction and storage of gas and oil. Now we are one of the driving forces behind the energy transition in the Netherlands. EBN has thorough knowledge of the Dutch subsurface and plays a key role in connecting private and public parties within the energy sector. Cooperation is very important in order to achieve the climate ambitions.
As a non-operating partner, EBN is involved with virtually all oil and gas projects in the Netherlands. Our interest in these activities varies from 40 to 50 percent. All profits are for the benefit of the treasury and therefore for Dutch society as a whole.
Our remit includes:
- exploring geological energy sources and exploiting them in a safe, sustainable and optimum way;
- investing in the reuse and decommissioning of old pipelines, wells and platforms;
- developing, deploying and sharing know-how of geological energy sources and new applications of the Dutch subsurface;
- connecting public and private parties in the energy sector;
- managing participations in oil and gas companies.
EBN has three strategic priorities for providing its contribution to the energy transition in the Netherlands:
EBN has more than 95 highly educated employees. They work within either a thematic team, within a specialist professional group or a support department.