The Supervisory Board is responsible for supervising the management’s policy and the general affairs within EBN and assists the management with advice where necessary. In its turn, the management of EBN provides the Supervisory Board with the required information to allow it to perform its task properly. The chairman and the members of the Supervisory Board are appointed by the shareholder. Organisation and decision-making of the Supervisory Board are recorded in the ‘Regulations for the Supervisory Board’.
Profile and composition
The Supervisory Board is constructed in such a way that the members are able to operate independently and critically in relation to each other, the management and any particular interest. The Supervisory Board must be composed in such a way that it is able to perform its task properly. Each member of the supervisory board must be able to assess the main themes of the total policy. Each member of the Supervisory Board has the necessary expertise required for the performance of their task, within their role and within the framework of the board’s mandate.
Members of the Supervisory Board
Jaap Huijskes (1965) is the chairman of the Supervisory Board. He is of Dutch nationality. His first term runs until the general meeting of shareholders in 2020. In addition, he is Non Executive Director at Gulf Keystone Petroleum Plc since December 2017.
Jan Willem Weck (1947) is a member of the Supervisory Board. He is of Dutch nationality. His first term runs until the general meeting of shareholders in 2019.
His other functions are:
• Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Economische Impuls Zeeland N.V.
• Member of the Advisory Council of the Netherlands Institute for New Technology, Economic and Social Studies (Nintes)
• Member of the board of Stichting Talent naar de Top
• Chairman of the Supervisory Council of Stichting Buddy Netwerk
Liesbeth Kneppers-Heijnert (1951) is a member of the Supervisory Board. She is of Dutch nationality. Her first term runs until the general meeting of shareholders in 2020.
Some of her other functions include:
• Professor of management studies, particularly legal aspects, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen
• Member of the Supervisory Board of Wolters Kluwer Holding Nederland B.V.
• Chairwoman of the advisory council of Stichting Instituut GAK
• Board member of St. Fonds Bijzondere Voorzieningen Martini Ziekenhuis Groningen
Wouter de Vries (1954) is a member of the Supervisory Board. He is of Dutch nationality. His first term runs until the general meeting of shareholders in 2021. Currently he does not have any secondary functions that are relevant for the performance of his task as Supervisory Board member at EBN.
Diederik Samsom (1971) is a member of the Supervisory Board. He is of Dutch nationality. His first term runs until the general meeting of shareholders in 2022.
His other functions are:
• Consultant of HVC Alkmaar (geothermal energy)
• Consultant DNV-GL (offshore wind energy)
• Consultant of central government
• Chairman of sector table Gebouwde Omgeving
The board established two committees that perform their tasks in accordance with the regulations established by the board on the basis of the Corporate Governance Code:
The audit committee consults the Supervisory Board in relation to the annual account, supervision of internal risk management systems, financial information provision, financing and application of ICT and information systems.
The remuneration committee gives advice concerning the remuneration of the management on the basis of the remuneration policy established by the shareholder. For reasons of efficiency, the committee also functions as selection and appointments committee.